With SNOM’s Enhanced Better Together being demonstrated at WPC 2013: http://www.snom.com/en/news/archive/article/2013/en/snom-to-demonstrate-pc-pairing-%E2%80%9Cbetter-together%E2%80%9D-features-on-its-microsoft-lync-qualified-desktop-phones-at-wpc-2013/ and availability being most likely end of 2013. I figured it would be a good time to post my review of the Call Via Phone Advanced. A 3rd party Better Together type application for Lync and SNOM phones which is currently available.
The Call Via Phone application comes in two editions (free and paid) and works with Lync 2010 and 2013.
- Call Via Phone application freeware: http://msucblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/new-call-via-phone-application-for-lync-2013-and-lync-2010/
- Call Via Phone ADVANCED for Lync 2010 & Lync 2013: http://msucblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/call-via-phone-advanced-for-lync-2010-lync-2013/
To configure the application enter the SNOM phone IP address, the Username/Ext, Password/Pin and Save. Note: Username/Password should be the account that can administer the SNOM phone’s web interface.
Originally the Call Via Phone application was just for outgoing calls. I reached out to Gianluca the author of the application and made some suggestions. A few emails later I had an updated version 1.5.6, that could handle incoming calls! Note: Account on the SNOM phone should be the same account signed into Lync to allow for incoming functionality.
Benefits of Call Via Phone vs Enhanced Better together:
- Can be made to work with other IP Phone vendors (Cisco, Polycom, Grandstream, 3CX, Yealink)
- Doesn’t not require Lync user to have Enterprise voice for Outgoing call functionality
- No windows driver protocol limitations, allows for future customization (Programming Phone keys, full interaction with any functionality available on the Phone)
For more info reach out to email@example.com